Every day I am witness to the dynamics of culture as we know it. Just when I think yep this is it, finally I got it, 'it' smacks me right in the face and I'm left dumbfounded yet again. As case in point - a couple of weeks ago landlord pretty much spent all weekend in our apt ('our' being servane-ji and I). ANYWAY...I'm very fortunate in that my landlord's family is well traveled. A point they like to tell me over and over and over again! anyway turns out perhaps progressive mentality is like a cup of chai - some like it sweet, others like it strong others just dont like chai. well here I am trying to say the customary namaste to my landlords wife and he turns around and says to her "speak woman, say hello! how'r u??!" then he turns to me and sheepishly smiles "hehe, she doesn't speak english - what to do" - WHOA! For some reason, whenever Ilook back on that sunday afternoon it brings a wry smile to my face.
thanking
No comments:
Post a Comment